Brainwave’s Learning Development Specialists all have degrees, in teaching, education or early years. They also have experience in a variety of settings from mainstream and special schools to nursery.
The areas that learning development covers is extensive and includes:
- Attention and concentration
- Listening skills and following commands
- Early learning skills such as picture and object recognition
- Counting and knowledge of numbers
- Letter and word recognition
- Reading and comprehension
- Fine motor skills
- Pre-writing skills including:
- Crossing midline
- Hand-eye coordination
- Bilateral integration
- Visual discrimination
- Upper body strength
- Visual timetables and visual learning
- Sensory strategies to aid concentration
- Calming techniques
- Behavioural management strategies
Before assessing a child, the Learning Development Specialist will carry out a thorough interview with the child’s parents. Once this has been done they will then carry out an assessment and devise an individual home-based Therapy Programme for that child. Goals are agreed with the family and objectives are set.
The parents are then taught the techniques and strategies to allow them to carry out the unique Programmes at home.