What are Genetic Disorders?
Genetic disorders occur when there has been a change in an individual’s DNA. This is a mutation in a gene or genes. The mutation changes the gene’s instructions for making protein, therefore the protein does not work as it should or it can be missing entirely.
The Different Types of Genetic Disorders
- Single gene disorder – when a mutation affects one gene cell.
- Chromosome disorder – where chromosomes are missing or have changed.
- Complex Disorder – where there are mutations in two or more genes.
How Can Brainwave Help?
At Brainwave we see children with several different types of genetic disorders. As the therapists at our Centres see children from all over the country, and overseas, they have the knowledge and experience to help you and your child.
- Our qualified therapists have the time to explain your child’s condition and their presenting problems.
- We have the time to fully assess your child through play and work around your daily routine.
- Your child’s assessment and Therapy Programme shall be tailored to their individual needs and your daily routine as a family.
- We are your advocate and are always here for support and ongoing care.
- We provide in-depth therapy reports that can be sent to your NHS or private medical professionals, as we believe that working together maximises your child’s outcomes and quality of care.